Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Why do people want to dress mainstream?

♥♥♥
Not the fact that it's different makes it good, 
but the fact that it's good makes it different
♥♥♥

When you wear an alternative fashion like Lolita, you probably ask yourself why all the other people around you want to wear the boring mainstream fashion. One answer is that not everyone is interested in dressing super fashionable, and that's okay. But then, on the other side, there are so many girls who love to go shopping and create new stylish outfits, but still look kinda the same.
In this post I can't give an answer to that, I just want to write down my own opinion.

(picture by tokyofashion.com)

After I discovered Lolita, I really asked myself why so many people wear boring jeans. I even gave all my jeans to a thrift store because I was so bored of them xD But the longer I thought about the question, the more I asked myself: Do the people want to dress mainstream at all? Because in 'mainstream' fashion, many people feel weird if they meet another person wearing the same shirt like themselves, because only best friends do this. This is one indication that people don't want to look the same like others.

Another problem is, that you just can't dress very different, because in every bigger city you find the same stores: H&M, Pimpkie, Zara, Accessorize... there isn't much variation, and the stores who sell unusual clothes are often expensive boutiques. Of course, as a Lolita, you will say: "Why don't they shop online, I'm always doing this!" but to be honest, I hate to shop online! I really whish I could buy Lolita items in physical stores, because then I could try them on, check their quality and compare if they fit to other things in my wardrobe. Shopping online is also more expensive because of shipping and taxes, and if the item doesn't fit you, you nearly always make a loss, except the item is really sought after or from an expensive brand.

The last problem is something a Lolita always have to deal with: stupid comments and shyness. I think you have to read many studies, theories and philosophies about the mainstream mass to understand why people act like this, but it is a fact that many people don't do what they want because they have fear that other people think bad about them. Even I have the problem: On the one side I don't care about the opinions of others when it comes to Lolita fashion, but on the other side I have to live together with the people around me, so I also have to appear serious to them and that's hard in a pink pony skirt.

And a thing you also shouldn't forget, but many people forget it when thinking about this topic: As a Lolita, you might look very different from the general public, but you look very similar to other Lolitas! To create a really unique Lolita outfit is more than hard, and this is the same in mainstream fashion.
In a world, where all girls are wearing Lolita fashion, you would look mainstream. For me, that wouldn't be a problem, because I wear this fashion for its beautiful appearance, not to look different :)


♥ Now, what do you think about this topic??
Please comment! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...